The official blog of SavageShore Creations. Here you will find updates about news in gaming, reliable reviews ranging from new game releases to a number of TV shows, videos which will primarily consist of machinimas, and maps and games that I've created in either Halo 3 or Halo: Reach. You will find that the majority of my work will be oriented around the Xbox 360 as that is the console of my choice. This site will also be serving as my online portfolio, so everything I post here will contribute to that, and I don't frankly care whether any of it gets views or not. For those who are tuning in for entertainment, I hope you enjoy what I have to offer.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Legendary Review

Oh look at that- I did find some time. So here it is: my review of the Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack.

Ghost Town: This map was the only actual "new" map in the pack as it's not a reimagination or remake of any previous Halo maps. Was it worth a third of 10 bucks? Hell yes. When I first played it on my own in custom games the first word out of my mouth was "wow" and that's how I would still describe the map. It looks and plays like a dream. It is a medium sized map around the size of isolation but much more detailed and structured. It is a very assymetrical map and plays a lot like Halo 2's Turf. The over-grown and crumbling buildings that this map features make it just stunning to look at. The outside ledges, high bridges, pen pipe structures and lush jungle make this a great map to play. I would surely put it in my top ten Halo 3 maps. Forge-wise this map is not the best. Bungie made it as good it could possible be to forge on with all the awesome objects they made for it but just the fact that the map contains so much of its own unchangeable design without any large open areas makes it a weak forge. I believe the only decent maps that could be created on this would be a racing one or possibly an infection one but any other variants would play pretty much the exact same way as the default Ghost Town does.
And so because it has great graphics and gameplay but not great forging, I give Ghost Town a 8.5/10

Blackout: Well this was the remake of Lockout that everyone wanted so badly. And although Bungie changed up a few jumps and the theme of the place it doesn't fail its former self. Not only does it play like Lockout (very well indeed) but it also looks amazing now too. Bungie set this map in the antartic at the edge of an ice-sheet as scientific weather station. The station itself looks awesome with frost-bitten walk-ways, glacier core samples, and other interesting gadgets and gizmos. Not to mention that it all takes place in the dark of nigh which gives the map an extremely unique feel. Plus Bungie threw the Aurora Borealis in the sky for a final effect to complete the experience. When you play this map and hear your footsteps clanking on the frozen metal and the sound of a discrete freezing wind passing by, you actually feel the chilling effect of the place as it immerses you into its presence. If you actually look back at Lockout you'll see how incredibly plain it seems in comparrison to its newer version. Forge-wise Blackout is one of the better maps on Halo 3. The numerous ramps and walk-ways make for great race-track possibilities, the doors can really change up the map, and the large areas of open space above, below and around the main structure make for a bunch of other possibilities. For all the above greatness mentioned I give Blackout a 9/10 (it is a remake).

Avalanche: This is an absolutely awesome map. I loved Sidewinder but this map absolutely blows that one out of the water. The massive mancannons allow for infinite fun launching warthogs and other vehicles into the enemy's base. The covenant versus human layout is also an extremely cool feature to include. I never get bored of playing this map- 5, 6, 7 times in a row on DLC team objective and I'm still wishing for it to be selected. The snow-covered trees, ice patches, and frosty structures make this map breath-taking (just as I imagine the climate would if it were real). The forging on this map is 5-star next to foundry. The open space and man-cannon cave give a great amount of room for imaginations to run wild. This map is more of a reimagination of Sidewinder than it is a remake since it has changed dramatically with the mancannons, and caves and such resulting in much more enjoyable gameplay and so that's my excuse for giving it a 10/10.

Now I know I've been pretty decent to the map pack but that's honestly because I love each of the maps excessively. And I'm not like that with all the maps as I detest Stand-Off and dislike Rat's Nest. Foundry wouldn't be very great either if it weren't for its astounding forge play. So there is my 27.5/30 total for the truly legendary Legendary Map Pack.

And just for kicks heres a few of my top ten lists:
Top Ten Halo maps through out the series: (game-play wise)
1. Relic
2. Headlong
3. Avalanche
4. Ascension
5. Blackout
6. The Pit
7. Turf
8. Epitaph
9. Ghost Town
10. Last Resort

Close calls= Guardian, Naorrows, & Coagulation.
(yes I know there are no Halo 1 maps- that's because all my favourite ones of those have been remade better i.e. Blood Gulch and Sidewinder)

Top Five Forge Maps:
1. Foundry
2. Avalanche
3. Blackout
4. Standoff
5. Last Resort

Top Five Least Favourite Halo 3 Maps (gameplay-wise)
1. Isolation
2. Standoff
3. Rat's Nest
4. High Ground (unless it's snipers)
5. Foundry

And that's it - feel free to post your top tens in your comments.

19 comments:

  1. Nice I agree completely with the review! You're a headlong- lover hey? Heres my top ten halo maps:
    1. Construct
    2. Chill Out
    3. Avalanche
    4. Blackout
    5. The Pit
    6. Last Resort
    7. Sanctuary
    8. Guardian
    9. Hamg em High
    10. Turf

    ReplyDelete
  2. my top 5 favouritest maps:
    1 isolation
    2 standoff
    3 rats nest
    4 high ground (unless its snipers- i hate snipers)
    5 foundry

    =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol "worth ten bucks. hell yes.". Damn good review man. Top forge picks are pretty easy and I agree with most of your top ten except I would just change a few things- I would put foundry as my #1 because of all the fun variants I've played on it, I would bump the Pit up to #4 and replace Turf with Warlock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. LOCKOUT
    2. Hang em High
    3. Blood Gulch
    4. Midship
    5. Collosus
    6. Standoff
    7. Ghost Town
    8. Guardian
    9. Epitaph
    10. Snowbound

    oh yeah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the map packs- should pick up herioc as its free now but by the sounds of it im not missing much.

    1. Boarding Action
    2. Lockout
    3. Prisoner
    4. Chill Out
    5.Sanctuary
    6. Hang em High
    7. Coagulation
    8. Turf
    9. Waterworks
    10. Sand Trap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently scott doesn't play a lot of halo 3. I can't choose which are my favs but here are my top ones- guardian, backwash, ghost town, and valhalla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one Mander- I think you're going to get a lot of comments of ppl voicing their opinions. Here's mine:
    1. Terminal (why has no one mentioned it?)
    2. Ascention
    3. Epitaph
    4. Snowbound
    5. The Pit
    6. Construct
    7. Turf
    8. Sactuary
    9. Avalanche
    10. Lockout

    ReplyDelete
  8. SavageShore Creations? Is that your production name? Any ways my top ten:
    1. The Pit
    2. Snowbound (sorry MC)
    3. Blackout
    4. Avalanch
    5. Ghost Town
    6. Construct
    7. Guardian
    8. Valhalla
    9. Foundry
    10. Standoff

    (never played halo 1 or 2)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review but it shud have been a 30/30. 10s arent a bad thing u no.
    Here goes:
    1. Avalanche
    2. Headlong
    3. Ghost Town
    4. Side Winder
    5. Black out
    6. Foundry
    7. Hand em high
    8. (hmmm I cant think of n e more)

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would put down a list but there's no point as it would be exactly the same as Tryphire's

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Acsention
    2. Ascention
    3. Ascention
    4. Acsention
    5. Acsention
    6. Relic
    7. Have i mentioned Acsention?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey did you change your #1 I couldve sworn that it was headlong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SavageShore Creations?? Where did you see that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's in grey right below "mervins blog" - pretty easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh and heres wat I think of ur review mander- =) =) (very good)
    and heres my favs
    1-containment
    2-guardian
    3-epitaph
    4-relic
    5-headlong
    6-waterworks
    7-boarding action
    8-construct
    9-rats nest (for some reason i like it)
    10-blood gulch

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg how did i make that? >> 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good review dude!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, avalanche is the best map of the pack then blackout then ghost town. Here's my top ten:
    1) Ivory Tower
    2) Snowbound
    3)The Pit
    4) Guardian
    5) Burial Mounds
    6) Coagulation
    7) Avalanche
    8) Blackout
    9) Headlong
    10) Ghost town

    ReplyDelete
  19. So? - where ae your machinimas? You haven't updated for a while...

    ReplyDelete